If you are considering selling your home soon, now is a great time to start thinking about the best home improvements for resale. To ensure you get the most money for your home, it is crucial that it be in tip-top shape to attract buyers and command the asking price. Don’t underestimate the value that some minor home improvements can add to your bottom line when you sell your home.
Here are some tips about the best home improvements for resale so you get the most money possible on the sale of your home.
- Don’t Forget the Yard – Do not underestimate the role a colorful row of flowers or a well-manicured lawn plays when people are house hunting. Replace overgrown shrubs with beautiful, flowering plants, and other eye-catching focal points like a stone walkway or paved path to add instant appeal. Curb appeal will end up earning you more than you think on your return.
- Clever Kitchen Updates – People love a clean and updated kitchen when they are house shopping. The kitchen is the heart of the home and usually is the place that everyone hangs out. Even minor kitchen updates can go a long way in increasing the appeal and the price of your home for sale. Consider updating appliances, painting existing cabinets for a fresh new look, updating your backsplash, or adding a splash of color to your walls.
- Spruce Up the Bathroom – When a complete remodel is not an option, spruce up outdated bathrooms for a more modern feel to attract more buyers. Consider re-caulking the tub, re-grouting any old looking tile, and replacing the toilet for a more modern look. Also, updating the bathroom mirror as well as the fixtures will enhance the home for buyers. Adding wall décor and a fresh coat of paint is an easy and inexpensive way to enhance small spaces.
- Freshen Up the Walls – One of the most effective yet least expensive updates you can make is to give the walls of the home a fresh coat of paint. New paint not only lightens and brightens each room, but it also disguises any imperfections or defects to make the home look clean and fresh. Just be sure to choose a color that will be appealing to a wide variety of people such as a neutral yet urban gray tone. That way whatever your potential buyer’s style is they aren’t distracted but colorful or outdated colors.
- Look at Your Floors – If you want to make a big impact with your home improvement dollars, look at changing the floors of your home, especially if you have pets. New floors will give a clean and well-maintained look and gives a good first impression to buyers. Consider making changes that are currently trending, but are also budget-friendly.
Whether you are looking to buy a new home or make some of the best home improvements for resale profits from your current home, know that the credit union is here to help. From new mortgages to home improvement loans, and everything in between, we are here to help you with all of your homeowner and homebuyer needs.